Posted on 07/02/2014 at 12:00 AM by Todd Eibes, MD
Do you have a lot of questions about weight loss surgery before and after? Don’t worry, you are not alone and we’re here to help.
Throughout this website and at our support group meetings, we try to anticipate and answer any questions you might have.
Weight loss surgery can be a daunting experience. It’s only the beginning of a life-long journey of healthier choices and a new lifestyle. It’s important that you have all the answers you need to support your decision about weight loss surgery before and after your procedure.
Before weight loss surgery here are some of the questions you should ask:
- What are the reasons someone should have weight-loss surgery?
- Why isn't weight-loss surgery a good choice for everyone who is overweight or obese?
- Are there are other ways of losing weight that I should try besides surgery?
- What are the different types of weight-loss surgery?
- Is there a difference in how much pain I will have afterward?
- Is there a difference in how long it will take to get better?
- What is the best surgery to help me lose weight and keep it off?
- For which of my medical problems (such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, or high blood pressure) do I need to see my doctor before the surgery?
- How will the weight loss surgery affect my other health issues (such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, or high blood pressure) long-term?
- How can I prepare myself emotionally for the surgery?
- What types of feelings can I expect to have?
- Can I talk to people who have already had the procedure?
- How long will the surgery last?
- What type of anesthesia will be used?
- Are there choices to consider?
- What’s the recovery time/experience like?
- What will your life be like after the surgery?
Here are some of questions you should ask your Iowa Weight Loss Specialist surgical team about what will happen after you have your surgery:
- How much weight will I lose?
- How fast will I lose it?
- Will I continue to lose weight?
- What will eating be like after weight-loss surgery?
- What types of feelings can I expect to have once I’m home?
- Can I talk with other people who have had weight-loss surgery?
- How active can I be when I get home?
- How much can I lift?
- When will I be able to drive?
- When will I be able to return to work?
- Will I have much pain?
- What medicines will I have for the pain?
- How often do I need follow up appointments after my surgery?
- Will I need to take supplements and if so, for how long?
- How do I handle questions from people who don’t know I’ve had the surgery but notice I’ve lost a lot of weight?
- How will this affect my bodily functions?
- When I we resume sexual activity and how will the surgery affect my sexuality/sex life?
We know that we’ve just scratched the surface of all the questions you have about weight loss surgery before and after. We know you probably have even more questions. Don’t be embarrassed or concerned about asking anything that’s on your mind at any point during the process.
At Iowa Weight Loss Specialists we’re here to help you make the right decision for you and your health.
If you’re interested in learning more about:
- Dr. Todd Eibes
- Iowa Weight Loss Specialists
- Our West Des Moines location
- Our weekly informational class
- Weight loss surgery financing
- Or would like to schedule a consultation
Please call 515-327-2000 or email us.