Posted on January 3, 2017 at 9:38 AM by Iowa Weight Loss Specialists
Happy New Year from Iowa Weight Loss Specialists!
As each New Year comes around, we find ourselves setting new goals that we want to achieve. Unfortunately, not many of them are reached. This isn’t for lack of trying, but there are usually a few reasons we can’t seem to make some stick.
Here are few simple tips for setting achievable goals this New Year:
- Make them realistic. We all seem to have a little more motivation at the beginning of the year and tend to set some unrealistic goals. Make sure your goals are realistic and something you can work into your lifestyle. Losing 20 pounds in two months is probably unrealistic, but losing 20 pounds in 6 months maybe be more realistic.
- Visualize your goal. It’s hard to stay accountable and motivated when you can’t see your goal. Write down your goals and put them somewhere visible to you every day! This will help you remember to keep working on them. The fridge, a bathroom mirror, you phone case are all ideas of places you see every day.
- Break them down. If your goal is going to realistically take longer than 3-6 months, break it down into smaller goals that will help you work toward that bigger goal. If you want to cut out soda from your diet completely in six months, start with a weekly goal of reducing your soda intake by 1-2 sodas per week. Keep a journal to help you keep track!
- Tell your friends and family. Share your goals with your loved ones so that they can support you and help keep you accountable. They will offer helpful reminders of what you’re working towards.
- Reward yourself. When you set your goal, also set what your reward is going to be. It’s important to celebrate your achievements. It may be a massage or spa day or a special shopping trip. This adds a little extra motivation to reach your goal and gives you an opportunity to enjoy reaching it!
Remember, the New Year is not the only time to set new goals! After you complete a goal, it’s important to set a new one, no matter how big or small. Consistently making and working towards goals is what makes people successful in all of their endeavors.