Posted on 05/10/2017 at 09:00 AM by IWLS Dietitians
Did you know?
Asparagus is a prebiotic meaning that it promotes the health and growth of probiotics (the bacteria that hangs out in our gut.) Probiotics are beneficial for immunity, gut health, and much more.
GRILLED PARMESAN ASPARAGUS
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper
1. Prepare asparagus and trim the bottoms. Lay the asparagus in the pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss in the olive oil.
2. Lay the asparagus on the grill in a row. Grill for 5-10 minutes over medium high heat until they have char marks and are fork tender. Remove asparagus and place back in the pan. Toss with garlic and Parmesan cheese. Serve.
* You can also grill the asparagus in foil if desired.
Recipe and photo courtesy of: http://therecipecritic.com/2012/06/perfectly-grilled-parmesan-asparagus/
ROASTED PARMESAN ASPARAGUS
- 1 lb. asparagus, clean dried and thick ends trimmed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese
1. Prepare asparagus flat on a baking sheet.
2. Drizzle with olive oil and garlic and mix together until coated. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Bake at 400F for 10-12 minutes.
GRILLED BBQ CHICKEN & VEGETABLES (FOIL PACK)
- 8 aluminum foil sheets large enough to wrap around one chicken breast
- 4 (4-ounces each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2-cup barbecue sauce (use your favorite)
- 1 zucchini, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 red, green or yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 8 asparagus spears
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- For each foil pack, prepare two sheets of aluminum foil; place the sheets one on top of the other for durability.
- Place one chicken breast on each stacked pair of foil sheets; season with salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Brush each chicken breast with 1 to 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce.
- Divide equally and arrange vegetables around each chicken breast; season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle chicken and vegetables with little olive oil.
- Fold the sides of the foil over the chicken, covering completely; seal the packets closed.
- Transfer foil packets to the preheated grill rack and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until done, turning once.
- Chicken is done when thermometer reads 165 F.
- Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes and serve.
Recipe and photo courtesy of: http://diethood.com/grilled-barbecue-chicken-and-vegetables-in-foil/