Posted on 09/13/2017 at 10:38 AM by Iowa Weight Loss Specialists
Try these healthy and tantalizing recipes, which are perfect for game days and tailgating!
“No-Potato” Cauliflower Salad
· 1 head cauliflower
· ½ dozen hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
· 1 cup real, full-fat mayonnaise
· 1 cup sunflower seeds
· ½ cup medium diced red onion
· 1 Tablespoon dill weed
· Juice from half of a lemon
· ½ tsp. sea salt
1. Cut the cauliflower into small florets and steam.
2. Run under cold water, pat dry, and place in a large bowl.
3. Mix together the mayonnaise, red onion, dill weed, lemon juice, sea salt and sunflower seeds.
4. Combine all ingredients into the bowl with the cauliflower and gently fold in the hard boiled eggs.
5. Serve immediately, or for better results, let chill in refrigerator overnight or for an hour or two before serving.
Recipe courtesy of: https://www.dietitiancassie.com/summersalads/
Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
Yields 6 Servings
· 6 cups of fresh cauliflower florets
· 2 teaspoons garlic powder
· a pinch of salt
· a pinch of pepper
· 1 tablespoon butter, melted
· ¾ cup Frank's Red Hot sauce
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking oil, or olive oil. Set aside.
2. Mix the garlic powder, salt, pepper, melted butter, and hot sauce in a small bowl.
3. Add the cauliflower into a large gallon-sized bag. Pour the buffalo sauce into the bag. Shake until the cauliflower florets are fully coated. Spread on a baking sheet.
4. Bake for 20 minutes.
Serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing.
Recipe courtesy of: https://www.galonamission.com/healthy-buffalo-cauliflower-bites/
Bell Pepper Nachos
Yields 6 servings
· olive oil spray
· 1 lb. 93% lean ground turkey
· 1 clove garlic, minced
· 1/4 onion, minced
· 1 tbsp. Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
· 1 tsp garlic powder
· 1 tsp cumin powder
· 1 tsp kosher salt
· 1/4 cup tomato sauce
· 1/4 cup chicken broth
· 21 mini rainbow peppers, halved and seeded (about 13 oz. seeded)
· 1 cup sharp shredded Cheddar cheese
· 2 tbsp. light sour cream, thinned with 1 tbsp. water
· 2 tbsp. sliced black olives
· 1 jalapeno, sliced thin (optional)
· Chopped cilantro, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400F and line a large baking tray with parchment or aluminum foil. Lightly spray with oil.
2. Spray oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat.
3. Add onion, garlic, and cilantro and sauté about 2 minutes.
4. Add ground turkey, salt, garlic powder, cumin and cook meat for 4 to 5 minutes until meat is completely cooked through. Add 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and chicken broth, mix well and simmer on medium for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Meanwhile, arrange mini peppers in a single layer, cut-side up close together.
6. Fill each with cooked ground turkey mixture, then top with shredded cheese and jalapeno slices, if using.
7. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
8. Remove from oven and top with black olives, sour cream, and cilantro.
Recipe courtesy of: http://www.skinnytaste.com/mini-bell-pepper-loaded-turkey-nachos/