Posted on 06/14/2018 at 03:44 PM by IWLS Dietitians
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3 cups spaghetti or pasta sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, or ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup water
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 1 package chopped spinach
- Sliced mushrooms, fresh or canned, drained
- 1 container low fat cottage cheese
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Cook ground beef and onion in a large skillet or electric fry pan. Stir to prevent sticking. When ground beef has turned brown, transfer mixture to a colander set over a bowl and rinse with hot water to remove grease.* Return hamburger mixture to skillet.
- Add spaghetti sauce, garlic, and water to skillet. Bring to a boil.
- Add uncooked noodles. Stir and cover with lid. Turn down the heat and cook 5 minutes.
- Add thawed spinach to the skilled. Add mushrooms if you like. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Spoon cottage cheese over the top. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Put the lid on and let it heat for another 5 to 10 minutes until heated through and noodles are tender. For a pretty appearance do not stir until the cheese is melted.
*Do not pour grease down the drain. Let grease harden, and then put it in the trash.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 260
- Total Fat: 7 grams
- Saturated Fat: 2.5 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Total Carbohydrates: 31 grams
- Protein: 19 grams