Posted on June 14, 2018 at 3:25 PM by IWLS Dietitians
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Red pepper flakes, if desired
- 1 cup (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- ½ cup barbeque sauce of choice
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Frank’s Hot Sauce or Tabasco
- 1 tbsp brown sugar, if desired
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Once oil is shimmering, add red bell pepper, onion and garlic and cook until the onion is tender and garlic is fragrant, about 4 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and set aside. Keep heat on and use the same skillet to cook your turkey.
- Next add ground turkey to the skillet. Break up the meat and spread it around the pan. Season generously with salt and pepper and cook 8-10 minutes or until the turkey is cooked and no longer pink.
- Next stir in tomato sauce, a pinch of red pepper flakes, bbq sauce, Worcestershire, chili powder, tomato paste, and hot sauce to the skillet with the meat. Add in the vegetables and stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 15-20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. If you find the sauce too tangy, add a bit of brown sugar or ketchup. Serve on whole wheat hamburger buns. Top with cheese if desired.