Posted on 04/30/2018 at 12:00 AM by IWLS Dietitians
· 1 lb flank steak, sliced against the grain into 1/2 inch strips
· 2 tsp chili powder
· 1 tsp ground cumin
· 1 tsp garlic powder
· 1 tsp paprika
· 1/2 tsp salt
· 1/4 tsp black pepper
· 1/4 cup olive oil
· 1 tsp minced garlic
· 1 onion, thinly sliced (no more than 1/4 inch thick)
· 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced (1/4 inch thick)
· 1 yellow bell peper, thinly sliced (1/4 inch thick)
· 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced (1/4 inch thick)
· lime wedges and chopped fresh cilantro for topping onto fajitas
· Mission carb balance tortillas
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper. Stir until evenly mixed.
2. In a large bowl, add steak, onions and bell peppers. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with minced garlic. Mix everything until it is evenly coated in oil and garlic. Sprinkle seasoning mix over everything. Mix again until everything is evenly coated.
3. Line a 2/3 size sheet pan with foil. This is a size up from the common half sheet pan used for baking cookies. If you do not have a 2/3 size sheet pan, you can use two half sheet pans. Lay all the vegetables and meat onto the lined sheet pan. Try your best to keep it to a single layer with no overlap.
4. Cook for about 12-20 minutes or until steak reaches desired doneness and vegetables are cooked but still crisp. When there is about 5 minutes left before food is done, cover tortillas in aluminum foil and place on top of baking pan to warm up. I placed mine right in the corner of the pan. (Please note, the tortillas will warm up but won't have the toasted/charred look. I toasted mine on the flame of my gas stove to achieve the color.)
Serve with lime wedges, fresh cilantro and any other toppings you desire.