Posted on 06/14/2018 at 02:50 PM by IWLS Dietitians
- 3 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 16 ounces unsalted chicken broth
- 32 ounces water
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 2-3 bay leaves (optional)
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 handfuls of mushrooms
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 1 lb. frozen mixed veggies of choice
FOR THE DUMPLINGS –
- 1 ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup milk (non-fat or almond milk)
- In a large pot add chicken, broth, water, and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil, over medium heat and cover the pot.
- Boil until chicken is completely cooked and is falling apart (about an hour or so).
- Add veggies, reduce heat, and cover the pot. Continue cooking for 45 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sea salt, and baking soda. Pour in the olive oil and cut into the flour mixture with a fork. Slowly add milk and until flour mixture is moist.
- Using a tablespoon, drop dumplings into the broth. Make sure the dumplings stay on top and do not get mixed in with the chicken and veggies. Cook on medium for 30 minutes or until dumplings are thoroughly cooked in the center. Make sure broth is boiling slightly before adding dumplings.
- Remove bay leaves if used, and enjoy!