Posted on 06/14/2018 at 03:46 PM by IWLS Dietitians
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup seasoned dried bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 can (28-ounces) diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- To make the meatballs, in a large bowl gently mix together the chicken, eggs, bread crumbs, Parmesan and salt until well blended. With lightly moistened hands, form the mixture into 18 meatballs (about 1-1/2 inch in diameter).
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, 6-8 minutes. Transfer the meatballs to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the skillet. Add the onion, garlic, and basil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to soften, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and tomato paste and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Add the meatballs, cover and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through, 8-10 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to the package directions.
- Divide the spaghetti among 6 bowls; top evenly with the meatballs and sauce.
- Slice your chicken up, and add the chicken and pasta in with your sauce. Stir to combine and serve!