Overview of The Gastric Sleeve Surgery Process
Choosing to undergo surgery for weight loss is a big decision and can be daunting for many patients. At Iowa Weight Loss Specialists, we strive to be transparent about our weight loss services so that patients know what to expect when they choose to begin the surgical weight loss process.
Overview: What to Expect Throughout The Bariatric Sleeve Surgery Process
Pre-Surgical Approval & Appointments
- Attend our free online weight loss surgery class and complete our new patient paperwork
- Learn more about gastric sleeve surgery requirements, the surgery process, and our accredited weight loss center team and services
- Connect with one of our experienced insurance specialists to check your benefits and coverage for bariatric surgery in Iowa
- Meet with our bariatric surgeon and registered dietitian during an initial consultation
- Participate in supervised diet visits (the number of diet visits will depend on individual program and insurance requirements)
- Lab testing: H. pylori, TSH, A1C
- Nicotine testing for current nicotine users
- Complete a psychosocial evaluation with one of our behavioral health providers
- Obtain cardiac clearance from a cardiologist (if requested by our bariatric surgeon)
- Get surgical weight loss program approval from our bariatric team. Your chart will be reviewed to make sure it is safe for you to have bariatric surgery.
- Obtain approval from your insurance company (this can take up to 14 business days) or private pay
- Attend your last appointment with our bariatric surgeon prior to surgery
- Complete pre-op physical (H&P) with your primary care provider for medical clearance for surgery
Gastric Sleeve Surgery Day!
Post-Surgical Visits & Support
- Participate in follow-up visits
- Visits occur at 1 week, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 1 year, and then annually for life
- Labs will be drawn 3 months after surgery and then annually
- Post-op visit with one of our behavioral health providers 3-4 months after surgery for losing weight
- Attend weight loss support group with other patients who have had weight loss surgery in Iowa
- Medical weight management support and resources if needed (such as weight loss medications, behavioral health support, etc.)
As a trusted Iowa weight loss clinic, we offer comprehensive weight loss services to help you achieve your weight loss goals. From our initial weight loss class to post-surgery, our team is here for you every step of your healthy weight loss journey!
Weight Loss Surgery At An Accredited Iowa Clinic For Weight Loss
Register For Our Free Weight Loss Surgery Class
Surgical Weight Loss Patient Success Stories