Will I Qualify for Weight Loss Surgery?
Like any major procedure, weight loss surgery has significant health risks and side effects. If you want to be considered for this type of surgery, you will have to undergo a thorough evaluation to determine if it’s suitable for your situation.
Although every patient is different, a person who matches these criteria is most likely eligible for weight loss surgery:
- You’re between the ages of 18 and 65.
- You’ve tried medically supervised weight loss programs and not been successful long term.
- You have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or greater OR you have a Body Mass Index (BMI) between 35-40 and also have other obesity-related medical problems like type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, or severe sleep apnea (Note: One major health insurance company recently reduced requirements to a Body Mass Index (BMI) between 30-35 if having type 2 diabetes or metabolic syndrome.)
- You are mentally ready for the surgery and the effects of the weight loss.
- You’re motivated to do the hard work ahead. (There will be significant life changes that need to happen along with the surgery. You’re going to have to learn a whole new way of eating and exercising.)
Back to Surgery FAQs